Sweet and Sour Rabbit with Prunes
675g (1.5lb) rabbit pieces.
1 tbsp plain flour.
1 tbsp each vegetable oil & butter (softened).
1 onion (finely chopped).
175g (6 oz) ready-to-eat dried prunes.
100g (4 oz) fromage frais.
1 tbsp Dijon mustard.
Seasoning to taste.
- Place rabbit pieces in a paper or polythene bag with the flour and shake to coat evenly.
- Heat oil and butter in a large pan and fry rabbit until golden brown all over.
- Add onions and prunes to pan and pour over just enough water to cover.
- Season generously and simmer for 45 minutes until rabbit is tender.
- Remove the rabbit with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Stir fromage frais and mustard into the pan and simmer until reduced slightly. Spoon the sauce over the rabbit and serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli or green beans.