Casserole of Rabbit in Red Wine
50g (2oz) Butter.
2 tblsp of Oil.
1 Spanish onion, peeled and diced.
75g (3oz) Streaky bacon, rinded and chopped.
1 clove of garlic, crushed.
1.5 kg Rabbit, jointed.
300ml Red Wine.
12 Prunes (if liked).
Salt and Pepper.
Springs of Parsley and Croutons.
Serve with brussel sprouts and creamed potatoes.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan and add the vegetables, bacon and garlic. Fry gently, stirring until pale brown.
- Transfer the vegetables and bacon to an ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon.
- Dip the rabbit joints in the seasoned flour, fry them in the saucepan until lightly browned, then add them to the casserole.
- Pour in the wine and stock, add the bouquet garni and prunes and cover.
- Cook in a preheated oven 160C, 325F, gas mark 3.
- Remove the rabbit joints to serving dish and keep warm. Check the sauce for seasoning, remove the bouquet garni and pour the sauce over the rabbit.