Rabbit & Sage Fricassee
4 Large rabbit joints or 8 smaller ones.
1.5oz (40g) Butter.
1 Medium onion, finely chopped.
0.5 pint (285ml) dry white wine.
7 fl oz (200ml) Chicken stock.
1.5 level tblsp Chopped fresh sage or 1.5 level tsp dried sage.
2 level tblsp Chopped parsley
Salt & freshly ground black pepper.
0.5 tblsp Plain flour.
0.5 tblsp Butter.
3 tblsp Single cream.
1 Egg yolk.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the chopped onion gently for 4 mins. Add the rabbits joints and brown them evenly on all sides.
- Add the white wine, stock, chopped sage, parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 30 mins or until the rabbit is just tender.
- Remove the rabbit joints from the pan and keep warm.
- Cream the flour and butter together to a smooth paste.
- Boil the juices in the pan for 3 mins.
- Beat in the paste a knob at a time until the sauce has thickened slightly and smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream with the egg yolk then stir it into the sauce. Heat the sauce through, but do not allow to boil.
- Return rabbit joints to the pan and heat through, then transfer to a warm serving dish and garnish with croutons and springs of fresh sage.